REAL School Budapest, an independent, not-for-profit international school is now ready for a
HEAD OF LEARNING & CO-CREATOR
to join its quest to create a unique, purpose-driven, entrepreneurial learning environment for a beautiful world.
EDUCATION INNOVATION + LEADERSHIP + SOCIAL & ENVIRONMENTAL CAUSES
If you are driven by these core values, we would like to talk with you.
Full time from AUGUST 2020
REAL School is a new, not-for-profit international school for kids who will imagine and shape tomorrow - and today. Our mission is to raise a generation of social entrepreneurs who can dream and build a more beautiful, equitable and sustainable world for themselves and for all living beings.
Through project-based learning, kids discover the world and themselves, develop a sustainability mindset and skills to make a difference, and learn to adapt to change. The School is inspired by Green School Bali - where our founding team worked before. While the school follows the National Curriculum in England in its foundational literacies, its focus is on nurturing entrepreneurial mindset, skills and wellbeing of its students through holistic education.
To drive the development of the School, we are now seeking a Head of Learning. S/he will take responsibility for teaching and learning, faculty and wellbeing, as a co-creator of the real-life learning environment.
- Lead an ambitious endeavour to create a new model of educating for sustainability through entrepreneurial learning
- Recruit, lead and develop a world-class faculty
- Lead the design of a holistic curriculum, prioritising real-life project-based learning for entrepreneurial skills and mindsets, systems-thinking and wellbeing
- Be the thought leader for the new "Education Revolution Innovation Lab"
- Take responsibility for the wellbeing and safeguarding of children
- Teach part of the time, inspire and guide the faculty with best practice
- Play a leading part in the future development of a unique, sustainable campus for the school
- Take advantage of the opportunity to grow with the school, to potentially become the Principal of a 400+ student school over 5-6 years
The role has three main parts
1. Education innovation practice and leadership
- Be a co-creator of the School’s and the movement’s education philosophy, strategy and practice - work with the faculty to create a new model of educating for sustainability through entrepreneurial learning
- Start with the children - teach part of the time, inspire and guide the faculty with best practice
- Lead the design of a holistic curriculum that gives priority to student agency, using real-life project-based learning to nurture entrepreneurial skills and mindsets, systems-thinking and wellbeing
- Work with the faculty on making learning visible and measurable, without the use of standardised tests or grades
- Research and learn from progressive education endeavours, build relationships with other like-minded schools, and share best practice
- Give talks, engage in education forums, build the School’s brand where appropriate
2. Faculty leadership
- Work with the Governing Board to recruit a diverse, like-minded and experienced faculty
- Build a high-performance team through leadership
- Inspire and empower the faculty for ongoing, self-driven professional development
- Be a key ally to educators, work alongside them to make them thrive
3. Relationship fostering for the wellbeing of all students and the community
- Foster positive relationships with students, parents, staff and the Governing Board to build a school environment where everybody can be their best selves
- Assume responsibility for the pastoral care of pupils
- Mediate and mitigate issues as they arise
- Regularly communicate with stakeholders through all appropriate channels
- Be the Designated Safeguarding Lead of the School
Desired qualities and qualifications
- The successful candidate will combine three core values: Leadership + Education innovation + Social or environmental causes
- An inspiring, confident yet humble leader, with a strong emphasis on values and culture
- A lifelong learner with experience as a Head of Primary or Middle school of a well-performing school
- An empathetic problem-solver who is able to mediate and mitigate issues as they arise
- A team-builder who harnesses the initiative and engagement of all to create and bring a vision to life
- An experienced programme designer with the passion to make learning relevant to real life
- Experience in project-based learning is a major plus
- A person who has started or has been involved in causes to better the world
- International experience and a Masters of Education degree is required
- Be a key part of an ambitious endeavour to invent progressive education with a purpose, while enjoying the freedom REAL School offers
- Earn appropriate compensation that is commensurate with making the school accessible to a diverse community
- Enjoy the best Budapest, “the Paris of the East”, has to offer
- Be a member of an inspirational and intellectual environment and a dynamic leadership team
- Become an expert in educating for sustainability as you live it
- This position will report to the Board of Governors
Closing date: when the position is filled, starting full time in August 2020.
To apply, please fill out the short application form, and upload your CV and a cover letter on WHY you and WHY this endeavour. Once shortlisted, we’ll ask you to send a short video that will inspire us about something that lights your fire.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; REAL School Budapest respects and advocates diversity and is an equal opportunity working environment. REAL School Budapest is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including references from previous employers by following our safer recruitment practice. Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau Disclosure or equivalent will be required for all prior countries lived. All positions of employment are dependent on the fulfilment of Hungarian employment law requirements.
If you have any questions, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Let ours be a time remembered for the awakening of a new reverence for life, the firm resolve to achieve sustainability, the quickening of the struggle for justice and peace, and the joyful celebration of life.”
The Earth Charter